Saturday, February 1, 2020

It has been a whirlwind since our last blog entry, and we want to thank everyone that has been praying for us.  We planned on traveling to China on either January 3rd, January 10th, or February 7th based on appointments needed to complete the adoption in country and being able to line up hotel stay and flights.  We ended up being able to travel on January 3rd and are so glad that we did, as we just missed the outbreak of the Coronavirus. 

On January 3rd we flew from Omaha to Atlanta, Atlanta to Seoul, South Korea, and finally arrived in Guangzhou, China in Guangdong province on January 5th around noon.  Guangzhou is commonly called Canton and geographically located about 2 hours drive north of Hong Kong.      

The next day, January 6th, our family along with two other adoptive families went to the Civil Affairs Office to meet David for the first time.  We were jet lagged, excited, and a bit nervous to meet David for the first time.He was upset to leave his caretakers, but he warmed up to us with snacks, games, and affection.  The next day, our family returned to the same office to finalize the adoption. 

But wait! We were not done with the paperwork quite yet.  We had additional appointments on January 8th, 11th, 13th, 14th, and 16th before we could fly home on the 17th.  There were a few free days for exploring the city and bonding, but unfortunately David was sick with pneumonia, Rose had a cold, and Ryan had the flu.  We ended up taking 4 trips to a western medical clinic that was an hour drive away.  We were concerned for David’s immediate health in China before we could get him back to the States, but he has healed and is doing better now.

Despite the all the sickness, we were still able to enjoy a little free time.  We went for walks in the nearby parks, enjoyed eating out, and were even able to go on an evening river cruise which allowed us to see the city from a different perspective.  We all enjoyed the warm weather in Guangzhou, and it was fun to see the decorations for Chinese New Year.  The day before we flew back to the US, Michele and Rose were able to visit his orphanage and gather information for him as he ages. 

Both Rose and David were able to sleep on the flight home, which made it an easy flight for us.  It's been fun to see David explore his new home.  He loves toys and playing with his big sister.  Despite Rose being a little jealous of her little brother, she loves playing with him and telling him about all the fun things he can look forward to doing in Omaha such as going to the park, zoo, Vala's pumpkin patch, and swimming.

We're so grateful for your support and prayers.  We can't wait for everyone to meet our son.  He is truly a gift and we're so thankful to be his parents.  Please continue to pray for us as we have a lot of medical appointments soon. We are anxious to determine why David is not growing at the rate he should be as we want to provide the best care for his needs as soon as possible.  Please pray for his condition, pray for our ability to help him, pray for Rose to be able to adapt to our expanded family, pray for our patience, and pray for David that he can continue to adapt to his new family.

No comments:

Post a Comment